Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yesterday I went to Naknek.  I needed to buy a new shovel and pick up a few nails.  I have been battling a cold since I got home so I just wanted to go in and come back.  The temperatures were warming but the winds were picking up.  Enough so that even though the temperature was 20 degrees warmer the wind chills were -55 so it felt colder.

I took off about nine in the morning.  The winds were blowing snow over the ice covered roads so I decided I would take my time.  It was a beautiful day with the sun coming up and turning all the clouds a rainbow of colors and the mountains in the distance were covered in white.  If you didn't know they were mountains you might have thought there were some huge clouds building.  I hadn't been to Naknek in a while so when I got to the place on the drive where you could see the river I saw some strange objects.  At first I thought they were fish houses.  Then they disappeared from view. 

I was wondering what type of house they were as they were big and chunky and odd shaped from any other fish house I had ever seen.  Then when the river came into view again I realized I wasn't looking at fish houses but huge boulders of ice thrown about the river and shoreline.  They were the size of small shacks.  It was very weird.  I thought about going to the bay to see the sights but like I said I am fighting s cold and I really didn't have the energy to go. 

First stop was the hardware store.  Picked up one shovel and 50 4 penny nails.  I could not believe the price $36.90.  But since I needed them and I had not figured out how to get a shovel on the plane I paid the outrageous price.  Then it was to the grocery store.  I didn't really need anything but since I have to buy my dairy products here I like to look for bargains.  Which I found in the cheese section, I picked up a small chunk of ham and some sour cream.  My price was $19.  Another $50 went into the gas tank and I had spent a hundred dollars in less than an hour. 

Most everyone likes to go to Naknek to grocery shop but I like the little AC in King Salmon better.  The people are friendly and cheerful and I think they have better prices just not so much variety.  The people in the Naknek store all seem so crabby.  That is my two cents for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment