Friday, January 6, 2012

Back in the Deep Freeze

Since November most of the days here have been cold.  I was all excited as yesterday when I got up it was 4 above zero. It seems like we have not had too many days above that mark.   I thought that meant I would finally be able to start walking to work as in these below zero days I catch a ride with the neighbors.  I got on my coat, hat and gloves and was going to take my dog for a walk as she hadn't had one for awhile as her paws weren't made for below zero temps.  We just walked around the block but my cheeks were frozen.  Every time it gets above zero the wind comes in and we have wind chills in even colder temps than before. 

So what do Alaskans do in this frozen ice land?  Most people are either leaving for warmer places say Spain, Hawaii and South America.  The people I have met here are more traveled than any place I have lived in the lower 48.  Or they stay inside.  Netflix is huge around here.  Not only is it too cold to be outside but the amount of daylight is a little over five hours.  If that.  Puzzles are big.  Talks over where to buy your books has become a topic in the break area.  Some still try to be outside and do some skiing or jogging.  But most of them are just thinking where they are going to be.  Me, I am not going anywhere exotic or warm.  I am heading to Minnesota to see my family for ten days in a week.  Though I hear they are having record warm temps.  But if it does turn out that MN has cold like here, which is possible, than at least I will have my family to watch movies with,work puzzles or freeze outside with.

No comments:

Post a Comment