Thursday, January 26, 2012

Still in the Deep Freeze

For most of this winter we have been below zero.  I never imagined it would be this cold here as we are so close to the ocean.  But today when I got up it was -35.  Yesterday everyone was talking about the very cold temps.  I got a weather lesson about the jet stream and low and high pressures that want to do nothing but bring icy cold air our way.  We have had a low pressure system by us dropping cold air for 20 days and it doesn't look like it is going to move until sometime next week.  Then above us is a high pressure system that is dumping lots of snow in Anchorage but bringing more cold air to this area.  Lucky us.

With these very low temps even the neighborhood dogs don't want to be outside.  Camille hardly goes five feet from the door when I let her out.  It is comical to watch these animals try to move and stand without placing paws on the ground.  I haven't even seen hare tracks in the snow for days.  It is like everyone is burying themselves in homes until the weather changes.  More people from the office are abandoning us for warmer areas.  Wish someone would bring back some heat with them when they come home.  Not no 80 degree heat but enough to reach the zero mark.  I feel like the good year blimp every time I go outside I am so bundled up.


Then the conversation turned to how long can you last with the amount of food stored in your house. I am not quite sure how long I could last may be a month. Most people can live about two months. Should I buy more food?

People who have can goods and soda stored in their garage are worried that these ever dropping temps are going to start effecting their food supply. Thermometers are being scavenged to watch the inside temps of their garages as we seem to be dropping deeper in to the cold. Never had to worry about that before but then I don't have food stored in the garage yet. Wonder if I should ?


No comments:

Post a Comment