Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I am Back!

I am back in King Salmon and the adventure started right up again when I got on the plane to get here in Anchorage.  Weather on the peninsula was horrible yesterday.  I was sure they were going to cancel the flight.  Most of the passengers on the plane were going to King Salmon and make a connection there to Chignik which is farther down the peninsula.  The guy next to me had talked to his wife and she said the weather is horrible that visibility was about 50 feet.  He figured King Salmon was as far as he would get for the day.

The guy said that he was glad to have time in King Salmon because then he could go shopping.  Shopping in King Salmon.  I could not believe him as we only have a general store with not much in it and it is very expensive.  Especially compared to Anchorage of which we just came from.  I asked him what he was going to buy and he said they always buy their meat in King Salmon so he would surprise his wife with meat.  He said she would love it.  Us Alaska women are easy to please buy us some meat and you good to go. 

Of course King Salmon hamburger is $5 a pound and other meats are around $10 a pound.  If he thinks meat is inexpensive in King Salmon I wonder what it costs in Chignik or if they even have a store there.  We did not go into that in detail.  I may have to go check out that town before I leave to see why King Salmon got the man all excited.

We made our decent and we landed during a blizzard.  It was snowing and blowing.  Wind gust were around 50 mph and temps with wind chills were -40.  Welcome home.  The people I normally beg rides from I knew were out of town, either on vacation or at some trainings.  So I had decided that I was just going to call the taxi for a ride home but when I called for a ride I was told that the weather was too bad for him to come pick me up. 

I walked over to the office to see if I could find anyone to give me and my four boxes of junk a ride home.  The office was pretty empty as everyone had decided to stay home for the day until the wind died down or it got lighter for people to see.  I finally found a coworker that said he would take the work truck and come and get me.  For a few short minutes I thought I was going to have to walk home.  I had not brought blizzard clothing with me so it would have been a very cold walk.

All that said and done it is nice to be back.  I had a wonderful time with my family and husband.  I am rested and anxious to get on with the next adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment