Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Unwanted Adventure

Last night I was all curled up in my bed sleeping soundly when all hell broke loose.  The fire alarms went off in our house.  We live in a duplex and the alarm will sound in both houses if something is wrong.  Our neighbor is gone until Feb.  I fumbled my way out of bed and headed down the stairs.  Living in a government house there are many fire alarms with flashing lights and very loud sirens.  It was rather crazy.  Our alarm system is not hooked up to an outside service nor does it get reported to the fire department.  Craig went out to turn off the alarm and I walked through the house looking for what might have set it off.  Then I went next door.and repeated the process.  We saw no signs of a fire, decided it was just a freak misalarm and went back to bed.

I was just about asleep when the alarm went off again.  This time we were down the stairs faster than the first time.  After silencing the alarms we did a thorough search and again found nothing.  We talked about how weird it was and were wondering why it went off.  But I went back to bed.  I barely got the covers over me when it went off again.  Now I was getting scared we were missing something.

Craig went to shut off the alarm and I called our chief of law enforcement.  I got his voicemail, told him what was happening and was wondering if I should call 911.  I hung up the phone and made another run through both houses.  While at the neighbors the chief showed up.  He looked at the alarm system then made his own inspection inside and outside of the house.  Then he went through the systems log to see if a sensor was out or any other reason why it kept going off.  Nothing.  We waited a half an hour and nothing happened.  He decided that we should be all right but if it went off again call 911 and him.

I had such a hard time going back to sleep.  I kept wondering and waiting for it to go off again.  Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, I had shut off my alarm clock.  Not sure when but I must have done it, after the first alarm went off just out of habit.  Not that my alarm clock sounds like a fire alarm, that is the only time I could think of that I would have shut it off.  Anyways I finally went to sleep and no alarm woke me up so I did manage to get some rest.  Not the kind of adventure I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment