Sunday, July 3, 2011

We All Have Dreams

Life at Brooks Camp is far from ordinary. Things happen here that I have never seen before anywhere else. Today I was roving around the boundaries of camp keeping my eyes open for bears. Activity levels of the bears around the area have picked up as they move towards the river waiting for the salmon to move in. There is a spot on the backside of camp called the overlook. It is on a hill looking down on the Brooks River and the marsh land that exists in the little valley below. It is a great place to look for bears, and birds. I love to go there in the morning when the eagles are hunting the river. Today as I reach the overlook I notice four white spots in the spruce trees across the river. I take a look through my binocculars and in the first tree I see a beautiful bald eagle, not a full fledge adult probably a four year old bird. Bald Eagles do not get their white heads and tails until they are five years old but this bird was pretty close. In the next tree I spot the other three white heads. They are not eagles however, they are gulls perched in the very top of the spruce tree. All three of them are sitting, trying to look as regal as the eagle. Gulls are normally water birds, they scavenge around beaches and shorelines. They fly over water looking for meals. Never have I seen gulls perched in the tops of trees. My best guess is that they were dreaming they were eagles. And who wouldn't want to be an eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment