Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Fall in the Woods

As the wildlife biologist I am suppose to study all the creatures of Katmai National Park. This includes the butterflies. This time of year, in towns all around the country, peolple are doing the Fourth of July Butterfly Counts. It was too late for us to do an official count at Brooks Camp but I wanted to do one just to see what we had. I mapped out a survey area and filled my backpack with all the essentials for the survey; bug spray, binoculars, ID books, and camera. The sun was shining it was a perfect day for searching for butterflies. I started down trails recording what I saw. Then I followed the beach to the point. On the walk back a bear was walking on the beach towards me so I moved into the woods. The grass was tall and there were down trees all throughout the area. My goal was to avoid the bear but continue towards the next area to be surveyed. I had moved into the woods long before I had to to give the bear a clean view of the beach. So I was trying to keep an eye on the bear while walking through the grass and climbing over logs. I had stepped on a log but I fell down. I fell between two logs and landed on my back with my legs stuck up in the air. I was stuck in a hole between the two logs and I could not get back up. I must have looked like a turtle on its back. waving my arms and my legs trying to get back up. My backpack was stuck and me to the backpack. I knew the bear was geting closer. I was starting to get a little nervous as the bear could enter the woods at any time. Somehow I managed to get rolled over. I heard the bear on the beach. I was able to get my backpack off so I could stand up. As I stood I could see the bear passing on the beach. I breathed a sigh of relief and moved on. I discovered four species and saw quite a few butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment