Friday, July 15, 2011

Chocolate vs Bears

I am a serious chocolaholic. I can't go a day without some. Doesn't matter what form it takes; chocolate cake, candy bar, chocolate chip cookie. I just need my fix everyday. Chocolate here in the bush is very expensive, a 8 ounce bag of M&Ms will run $9, a bag of minature chocolate bars at the AC run about $10+. I refuse to pay that price but I need my chocolate. So my wonderful husband sends me some in a care package every other week just in time for my trips to Brooks Camp. This week he forgot. I have no chocolate.

I got off the plane at Brooks camp and spent the rest of the day answering bear calls. I felt like I had run a marathon. Normally I would go back to the cabin and have some chocolate and relax. Tonight I just craved it. I was not a happy camper. I all ready have given up being with my husband and ice cream I could not go without chocolate too. I decided that the next day I would go to the lodge gift shop and see if they had any.

The day started out with three bears closing the float bridge which meant I could not get across to the ranger station. I was trying to get there early to use the computers but no go. I was busy trying to keep visitors safe from the bears in the water fishing by the bridge. The day from then on was hectic. By noon I managed to get a ten minute break to eat lunch and by this time my chocolate cravings were supreme and I also began aching for a coke to boost my energy level. I was scheduled to get off at 4:30 and the lodge gift shop closed at 5:30. I had plenty of time to pick up my fix and head home.

4:30 came and I was called to follow a bear on the beach. I watched it walk down the beach to the river keeping visitors a safe distance away from the bear. 4:45 a call came that a bear was entering camp at the other end of the camp. Quickly I walked to the area of said bear and found it behind an employees cabin munching on grass. I tried to haze it out but the bear was not cooperating. I had to call in help. Together we got the bear to move. Not in the direction we were hoping but moving none the less. We followed her down the trail and finally got her in the direction of the marsh and out of camp. A few more minutes of persuasion and she had left. Finally I was off. I had 15 minutes before the store closed. I had to go the the ranger station and get my backpack which had my wallet. Right by the ranger station was another bear. Luckily, he was easy to haze down to the beach. Inside the station, I grabbed my pack and rushed out the door. Ten minutes left. I walked into the store reached in the cooler for 2 cokes and found the chocolate. They had four types of candy bars, I bought one of each. Total cost of my purchase $9.50.

Now you are not allowed to eat or drink anything outside at Brooks camp unless your in the picnic areas which are surrounded by electric fences. You can however take food from one spot to another. I was going to take my cokes and chocolate and head the 2 miles home. To do that I had to cross the river. Unfortuately, the river was closed because bears were fishing near the bridge. 1/2 hour later the bridge opened. I could finally go across the bridge and head home. My thoughts were on the chocolate in my pack. I was half way across the bridge when I got called back as a bear had appeared under the platform across the river. Now I love the bears I work with but they were getting on my nerves. Another chance to cross the river. I moved with a purpose, which is what we say to visitors when we want them to move fast but not run. (Never run in bear country) I had made it across.

I walked the trail to my cabin. I had to stop and answer a few visitor questions along the way. Your never off duty if your in uniform. Finally, I made it back home. I took out one of the cokes, chose a butterfinger for my chocolate, sat down in front of the picture window and enjoyed my treats as I watched the sun shining on the mountains acrossed the lake. Life was good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment