Sunday, July 31, 2011

Three Months In Alaska

I have now lived in Alaska for three months. I have seen Brown Bears, Wolves, a Moose, Bald Eagle and many other birds and smaller species. I have eaten salmon and moose and caribou. I have figured out how to grocery shop. I have found the best places to order things from with free shipping. I have tested myself in ways that I never dreamt I would do until I moved up here.

I have learned whats in important up here as the things I use to worry about in the lower 48 don't make much sense here. I have learned to live simple. I don't miss my car too much only in heavy rain. That may change as the temps start to drop but right now I love walking to work and everywhere else I go. I have learned not to be so fussy, especially when it comes to food. I have learned to pack for all things but make sure it weighs less than 50 pounds and this has been a big challenge for me. I have learned to keep things on hand for that unexpected potluck which seems to happen quite a lot around here.

I have learned that I am a lot tougher than I thought. And even at the thought of turning 51 I am still able to learn and adapt to new things. I have learned to give up fast food and not even miss it. But I have a feeling that when I get to town I may overdose on ice cream. That I miss. I have leaqrned that from scratch bread tastes and smells much better than store bought. I learned to sleep in the sun at all hours of the day. I learned that Alaska is the place I have always dreamt it would be.

1 comment:

  1. I am so enthralled with your blog Sherri. I realize that this is 2 years old and you may never see this post, but.......I have to say that I feel as you do when it comes to Alaska. It is where I will be when I pass on to the next life. for me it will be death, but my ashes will be in Alaska feeding the wildlife and fish of Alaska.

    ReplyDelete