Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cute and Cuddly or Wild and Mean

I arrived at the lower platform early in the morning. I was to be alone for the first two hours on bear management. To keep bears out of the camp I need to be on the other side of the river. My first bear was asleep on the beach. The bear on the beach was no other than Lurch. Where he was sleeping was not close enough to the bridge to keep me from crossing but since I was early at getting to work, I decided that I would watch Lurch for a while.

He was all curled up with his head on his paws just sleeping in the early morning sun. Then he rolled over on hs back and stretched out. His four paws in the air and he just laid there totally relaxed. He scratched his tummy, yawned and rolled over again. Watching him through my binocculars he was so cute and cuddly. You just had to laugh as he enjoyed his moments in the sun. I had to go to work and Lurch just rolled on his back with his paws stretched out as much as possible.

Four hours later he finally decided that he had enough sleep and got up. This bear is a dominant male bear. Other bears move out of the area when he is around. He is taller on all fours than me standing up. As he moves up the shoreline everyone had to move out of the way. As he moved out of the area. I decided that even though he looked cute and cuddly if he tries to get into camp, I am just going let him and move the people out of the way. I ain't going to try to make him do anything he doesn't want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment