Saturday, December 10, 2011

Last Minutes in Anchorage

I spent yesterday in meetings and running errands for the office.  I was all over Anchorage.  I drove by parks, through downtown, and in all the running around, I can't say that I saw any wildlife.  I had lunch with an Anchorage resident from work and was told that there was no one place that you could go and see moose they just showed up.  She did tell me that even brown bears will eventually turn up in the alleys of town looking for food.  So I kept watch last night thinking how cool it would be to tell everyone that I did not see a moose but a brown bear walked by.  But I can't even tell you I saw anything that cool.

When I studied Alaska before moving up here I was told that Anchorage was 20 minutes from Alaska.  I thought it was funny but in reality it is true.  Here in Anchorage you can eat a large variety of foods, buy what ever you need, not that it can shipped to King Salmon but you can still buy it.  Prices are much lower than King Salmon but still expensive when compared to the lower 48.  There are four lane highways to get you from one side of town to the other.  People are everywhere.  But when you think of Alaska as the last pure wilderness of the United States don't think Anchorage.  I am looking forward to going back to King Salmon and the quiet and peace and getting out of this city.

So I am packing up the groceries and clothes and getting ready to head back.  I did not see a moose.  I did not see an eagle.  The most enjoyable time I had in my spare time was the trip to the native gift shop.  Which if you are traveling to Anchorage you should go to.  I still have about 8 hours left so maybe the moose will feel generous and make an appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment