Monday, December 5, 2011

Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are?

Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to get to Anchorage and my hotel.  My flight to Anchorage from King Salmon was suppose to leave at 8:55 am.  But we had lots of rain that turned into wet heavy snow during the night and they were trying to get the runways cleared when I checked in.  Anchorage was having very high winds with gust of 100 mph.  I was told to come back by 10:00 am.  I was there at 10 but no plane.  It arrived at 10:50.  There were only four of us flying into Anchorage so all formality went out the window and we laughed as we got on the plane.

The runway was far from smooth and I thought for a second that we would slide off the runway as the plane slid as we gathered speed for takeoff.  Once in the air we rocked and rolled until we got high enough for the winds not to be a factor.  We got on a full airplane as most of the passengers were flying to Dillingham from Anchorage so we had a stop to make.  I had never been to Dillingham so I was excited to see some new Alaska territory.  It wasn't that great.  Dillingham was covered with ice and lots of it.  It looked like that was all it was-ice.  We landed and everyone got out and no one got on.  We (the four of us from King Salmon) were asked to move to the last two rows of the plane to keep the weight of the plane stable.  Another first for me.

The flight to Anchorage was problem free until we started to descend and of course got into the wind.  This is my second flight into Anchorage and both times I felt like I was on a roller coaster that may never quit.  Finally on the ground we walked to the gate.  You have to fly Pen Air  to get to King Salmon in the winter and Pen Air has no inside jetways to get you from the plane to the terminal so we had to venture across the tarmac to building walking head first into the wind.

I managed to get my luggage and my shuttle to the hotel with no problems and I was excited as Applebees is about a half a block from my hotel.  I searched the parking lot for the moose that were suppose to be there as we drove by but no sign of any.  I checked in and my room overlooks a park full of birch trees.  I am assuming these are woods that the moose of Applebees come from.  I have a perfect spot to catch them.  So all I can say now is come out , come out where ever you are moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment