Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Little After Dinner Bird Watching

The days have been in the 50's and the snow and ice are melting fast.  So after dinner my neighbor and I headed down to Lake Camp to do a little birding.  The diversity of birds was not so great but the numbers were awesome.  We saw over a hundred tundra swans, about the same number of white-fronted geese, around 50 common goldeneyes.  Not to mention, a few scaup, a pair of pintails and few common mergansers.  While watching a bald eagle landed in a group of geese and scattered them.  Then he sat on ice staring at us.  I guess we were to blame for his lack of successful hunting.

After Lake Camp we headed to Rapids Camp.  Sadly there were only three hunters and group of decoys.  The ice formations on the sides of the river were amazing. 

From there we went to the city dock.  Where there were a few birds on the ice flows but not a lot.  While we were watching we did see a fox come out of the woods and head out on the ice in hopes of catching dinner.  He was bright red with a long bushy tail.  Must be a pretty smart fox to avoid the trappers.  He walked down the ice for about a quarter of a mile then went back into the woods.  It was a wonderful time after being cooped up in the office all day.

The maintenance people are heading out to Brooks Camp to get everything ready for the season.  When the first group arrived I got a call.  They had to inform me that there was a bear by the lower platform.  Of course they could not tell who it was.  I am getting quite anxious to get there but I have two weeks of training at the Grand Canyon then I am off to MN for a week.  I leave on Sunday.  I fly out to Brooks on the 18th.  I can't wait!!!!!!!  (Oh and by the way I saw tracks of a moose on the road today)

No comments:

Post a Comment