Monday, April 16, 2012

Let the Adventures Begin

I am back from Anchorage and I can tell you that I had little time to explore.  Anchorage received 139 inches of snow this year.  I was expecting to see mountains of it every where but they had a week of 50 degrees before I got there and it was in the 50's while I was there.  What I did like about Anchorage this visit was exploring 4th street.  I wish I had more time to explore all the shops along that road.  Unfortunately the Wildlife Society took up a lot of my time.  That and my food buying trips.  I did learn that if you want to mail food to King Salmon the best post office to mail things from is the one by the airport.  They are helpful and quick.  Not so the post office on third street.  I would also like to give a heads up to the Ramada downtown as they were excellent and a inexpensive place to stay. 

I am home for a week before I head to the Grand Canyon for 12 days of training and then a week in Minnesota to see the family.  It must have been warm here too as I can now see patches of grass in my yard and there are large puddles of water everywhere.  The ice on the Naknek river is now open to our dock area and with the leaving of the ice the birds have arrived.  I say it is time for the adventures to begin.  I plan on doing birding every day until I go as I will miss a lot of the migrants traveling through.  I will keep you up to date this week though. 

Work will be busy as while I was gone the yearly budgets were set.  Now we can really plan our season.  So by the end of the week I will know how many times I will be going to Brooks Camp and if I get to go to the coast or Aniakchak.  I am hoping for both.  You should be hearing from me on a more regular schedule now. 

The bears should be waking up from their long winters nap.  So I thought I would offer up a little contest.  Guess what the date will be of when I will see my first bear and you will win a copy of the new book on Katmai that comes out in June to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the eruption of Novarupta.  Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment