Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Proper Blizzard

Yesterday afternoon we were all told that the highway was closing due to the blizzard weather we were having.  You had two choices; stay and work and try to make it home later or try to go home now before things got worse.  I had driven the neighbors car and I can't seem to shake this cold so I chose to go home.  I knew the winds were howling because I cold hear the roars through the trees in the morning when I walked my dog.  When I started for home you could see little snow devils blowing across the road.  Big gusts of wind blew sheets of white in front of you.  It was going to be a proper storm.

I got home and decided that the storm looked bad enough that I ought to prepare.  So I made sure my coleman stove and fuel tanks were ready to go.  I fill pictures of water and placed them in the frig.  I took out candles and the matches in case the power went out and of course had my flashlight near by.  I also, for good measure filled one of the tubs about 1/3 of the way with water so in case I need it for a number of reasons I would be prepared.  I was ready.  Bring on the storm.

I then did what everyone should do through a storm and has a cold.  I went to bed, curled up under my fleece sheets and fell instantly asleep.  One and a half hours later I awoke.  The house was quiet and when I looked out the window the wind no longer seemed to be howling and the snow had stopped.  What?  What kind of blizzard is this?

A proper blizzard would last for days.  The wind would shake the very foundations of the house.  Snow would accumilate by the ton.  We would loose power and cuddle under mounds of blankets reading adventure tales by the light of your flashlight.  You would guzzle hot chocolate and eat all the junk food you like as you may not survive the storm.  That is a proper snowstorm but no.  Not much of anything.  I was so disappointed.  Can you tell I am ready to get out of the office?

No comments:

Post a Comment