Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hello Tundra!

Back in time to end of May
I have spent four days in Brooks.  We have had no excitement.  No bears, no other animals.  There have been barely any birds.  So all I have been doing is training staff.  I had given up on seeing any bears this trip and was packed and ready to head back to King Salmon and as I trekked back to the camp from BL3 I wasn't even thinking bears just what need to be done at home before I leave again.  When I reached the river I almost missed her lying on the downriver island. 

There was Tundra.  She was doing just what she was doing last year when I first saw her, digging holes and eating who knows what.  She was bigger than last year and though thinner than the fall she looked good.  It was totally fitting that my first bear of both seasons was Tundra.  I stood and watched her as long as I could before I had to catch the boat back to Lake Camp.  So I did not get skunked on my first visit.  It just made me anxious to get back.


Though the last week in May was all training there was some excitement in the fact that the BBC had arrived to film a documentary at Brooks.  They set up cameras that recorded activity at the falls platform during the month of July.  They arrived in May to set up camera equipment.  They also traveled to Hallo Bay and other coastal areas to get pictures out there.  The film crew worked hard and long and are currently editing the film shot.  In July of 2013 the film will be shown on the BBC network.  Keep your eyes out for it.

Also arriving at Brooks the last week of May were the people from explore.org.  They have set up web cams at the falls platform and at the lower river platform to let people watch the bears.  It is a huge hit.  Go to explore.org and watch yourself.  You will see the high water of the river.  Lots of male bears catching fish.  You might even see Beadnose and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment