Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Year 2 Begins

I am back from the Grand Canyon and Minnesota and ready to work.  The Grand Canyon was beautiful.  It is considered one of the premiere parks in the National Park System.  It receives over 4.5 million visitors a year.  But with all its beauty it doesn't have brown bears, wolves, or moose.  It is breathtakingly amazing.  It also has habituated elk and mule deer.  On our first night there we almost walked right into the back side of an elk.  To our credit it was pitch dark. Unlike here the sun sets around 7:30 every night and rose around 5:30. We never had a day where we did not see an elk.  The moose around here should take notice.  I did love the training and the exploration of the park.

The 9 days with my family was wonderful.  I traveled all over MN to visit everyone and had a great relaxing time.  But Now I am ready to get to work.  And since I am now an official Alaskan I can if I want afford to hunt and fish.  We will see.

 So let's start the season today with eagle surveys.  I will be flying the next two days looking for eagle nests in the Naknek drainage area.  Then on Friday I will be leaving for my first trip to Brooks Camp. The maintenance people have been out there for a month.  The interps left yesterday.  I can't wait to get out there. 

There is still time to win the beautiful new book Katmai that celebrates our 100 year history.  I have yet to see my first bear.  Choose the day you think that will happen and let me know your choice in the comment section and if you choose the day I see my first bear the book is yours.  It could be today so get your entries in.  I am off to search for eagles!

No comments:

Post a Comment