Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Where Have I Been

What a season I have had.  My schedule has been nuts and I have had little time in King Salmon to communicate on the blog.  Not too worry I plan on getting everyone caught up with my adventures in Alaska.  But before I travel back to the past let me tell you about the storm yesterday that hit King Salmon.

I was asleep when I heard the wind howl.  Wind storms are quite common in King Salmon.  What would be called a hurricane in the south is just another windy day here.  But last night it got a little creepy.  It was 3 in the morning and I awoke to the sound of the wind hitting the house.  Then I heard what sounded like the roof being ripped off and rolling across the rest of the roof.  Metal banged and rattled.  I layed in bed covered up wondering if I should be worried or if I was imagining it.  When things quieted down I went back to sleep.  I wanted to check out the outside of the house but it was still dark when I walked the dog and still dark by the time I went to work. 

After I had got to work, my boss came in and asked if I knew where the boat was parked.  Our department has a boat that we use to carry gear to Brooks Camp and do run surveys with on Naknek Lake.  I had no idea where the guys that work for me docked it last but assumed it was in its usual spot at Lake Camp.  But I was told that it was not where it was suppose to be.  My boss and the guys that work for me left for Lake Camp, loaded with waders and diving suits.  By 2 pm they were back for a hot lunch and to warm up.  Our boat had sunk in the storm.  It had taken them most of the day to get it floating.  After lunch they were going back to pull it out of the water.    They had not returned by the time I had left for the end of the day.

When I got home I inspected my house.  I did not lose the roof but I did have a large section of siding riped off the house.  It was torn off on the wall that my bed is next to.  No wonder it sounded so bad.  The maintenance crew will be out tomorrow to look at it.  Hopefully they can fix it before the next storm hits which by the way is some time tomorrow. 

I want to apologize for being gone so long.  Stay tuned to the stories of this summers excitement.  I will be posting stories everyday.  Stay safe and on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment